Kia Stinger Filmed Making Doughnuts - Kia Stinger Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Editorial Content

Kia Stinger Filmed Making Doughnuts

Kiaís rear-wheel drive sports saloon may be labelled as a true Grand Touring vehicle, but that doesnít mean the 2018 canít be fun or drift around an empty tarmac lot and make some nice doughnuts.

At a recent event in Korea, Kia took the task of destroying those Stinger rear tires seriously and you can even see tire pieces fly off here and there. Spectators were certainly thrilled by the demonstration, at least thatís what it sounds like amid the dulcet tones of tires screeching.

Of course, doughnuts alone wonít be enough to show off the Stingerís MacPherson front and multi-link rear suspension, nor will the world know that those wheels are hiding Brembo vented disc brakes.

But it certainly draws attention and potential buyers could be hooked once they find out about the range-topping model's twin-turbo 3.3-liter V6. Paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission, the Stinger is capable of cranking out 265 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque. Thatís enough to accelerate the sport sedan to 62mph in a brisk 4.9 seconds.

Though drifting in an automatic is possible, we donít suggest doing so unless youíre experienced and willing to burn a set of new tires. Automatics can drift but they generally aren't very good at it due to lack of control.

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:48 PM

Yumm ! Those are my kind of donuts

But seriously, I'm not much of a donut guy but it does show that it has the sufficient amount of torque to have some good fun. I'm more of a burnout kinda guy though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM

I believe these Stingers are on Michelin Pilot Sport tires which have been proven to aid in drifting. Its that perfect medium of tire that isn't too sticky and allows the tail to slide as you demand it to.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM

The same tires that are on the Prius. I can already sense changing out the tires very quickly. On the plus side.. that means burnout tires

The 86 twins come with the same tires essentially and a lot of them were quick to change them out for drastically better grip
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 AM

Making doughnuts with an automatic car isn't exactly easy so it raises my respect for those drivers. Something to try out when your tires are at the end of their lives, may as well have some fun before changing them. Best to do it near the garage where your tires will be changed so it's a short limp to new shoes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:28 PM

With the tiptronic or "clutchless manual" it isn't too difficult as you don't really need to shift gears and once you can keep the rpms up, you'll be good to go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page