Drove one yesterday - Kia Stinger Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Drove one yesterday

"My" dealer is still waiting, but a couple of others popped up when searching local inventory. I went over and drove one yesterday - GT1, black on black fwiw.

I'm very happy to report that it's everything I had hoped it would be.

I only used Sport mode for my 30 minute experience, but did not find the setup to be harsh, it felt very similar to my ('15 SX) Sorento but obviously much more stable, "planted" is the word I would use.

Throttle response was great, very smooth but only a little stab at the pedal was needed to wake it up, and there is no perceptible delay from the turbo.

Took it onto some very tight and twisty roads, that I know quite well. We had significant snowfall a few days ago, so there is a lot of gravel and packed snow in places. I had the tail wagging a few times and it was very predictable, and easy to control. Tried out launch mode, we were off to the side of the road in gravel, and I didn't want to abuse a brand new engine, but it was still very quick and no bad behavior even when we transitioned from the "dirty" lane to clear pavement.

I didn't spend any time playing with interior features, other than adjusting the seat and mirrors before we set off. A couple of reasons I bring that up is that I did find the steering to be "detached" from the wheels. It was super responsive and made controlling the rear easy, but I didn't get much feedback from the front that would help me anticipate things about to happen at the rear. You could feel things in the seat that you didn't notice at the wheel. I'd like to spend some time playing with setup options to see if there's a mode that would correct that a little.

The other features I'd like to play with are the wheel location and seat bolsters - no criticism with either, as I didn't mess with them.

I was heading down a path to purchase a BMW (M3/M4) or Mercedes (C43 AMG) earlier this year when I found out that the Stinger was coming. I've been a happy Kia owner since 2010, and am excited at the prospect of owning this one. The Stinger is fantastic value, and a beautiful vehicle inside and out.

Now to wait and see if I can get one equipped how I want - blue with red interior. I think I'd love the sunset yellow, but those aren't here yet and they are limiting production in that color. Sigh..
Sportster and DRKNESS like this.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Wow, glad that you had a chance to ride it already! Thanks for sharing your thought!

Any comments about Stinger's suspension?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM

Did you by any chance drive those BMW and Mercedes products you were after originally before stepping into the Stinger? Feedback of what its like compared to those long standing leaders in the segment is what i'm after right now.

Looking forward to updates on acquiring your Stinger spec.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes, although it's been several months.

Both were really impressive, and I was actually leaning towards the Merc for the same reason I now want the Stinger. I'm certain the BMW (M4 is what I drove) is better in terms of handling and power, but it's also more than twice the price. The Stinger is more than "good enough" and much better value. I don't mean it's a compromise - it's a huge step up from my Sorento, and I don't have to unlearn how to use turn signals! Keep in mind - the original Dodge Viper was rated at 400hp (although >480ft/lbs) and posted the same 0-60 times as this Kia. I can easily afford any of them. I choose the Stinger..

Regarding the suspension - that's what my opening comment was about - I put it in sport before we left the lot, and found the ride quality as comfortable as my Sorento, if not better, and the handling, lack of body roll, staying "flat" under hard acceleration or braking, were all "as expected" and hoped for.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:28 AM

Surprised to hear that the ride was comfortable in Sport mode considering how stiff some other cars are said to be when not in normal or comfort mode. That means most owners will just leave the stinge rin Sport mode all the time.

Maybe the steering feel can be adjusted if there's a way to custom configure the drive modes.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
Surprised to hear that the ride was comfortable in Sport mode considering how stiff some other cars are said to be when not in normal or comfort mode. That means most owners will just leave the stinge rin Sport mode all the time.

Maybe the steering feel can be adjusted if there's a way to custom configure the drive modes.
It might just be that I'm used to (and prefer) a stiffer ride than others. I used to travel a lot for work, and rent cars wherever I needed to be. I know I would often realize how much stiffer (and - for me - better) my Sorento was on the drive home from the airport.

Steering and suspension are adjustable, I didn't play with them.
DRKNESS likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnyVare Send a message via MSN to AnyVare Send a message via Yahoo to AnyVare
I'm not sure how to feel about "it felt very similar to my ('15 SX) Sorento", I'm hoping for a totally different feeling than that.

Future GT2 AWD owner - AnyVare
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Of course it's different, I said that in my post. I was saying in terms of comfort, ride quality, that it wasn't harsh as some reviewers have stated: "did not find the setup to be harsh, it felt very similar to my ('15 SX) Sorento but obviously much more stable, "planted" is the word I would use. "
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
It might just be that I'm used to (and prefer) a stiffer ride than others. I used to travel a lot for work, and rent cars wherever I needed to be. I know I would often realize how much stiffer (and - for me - better) my Sorento was on the drive home from the airport.

Steering and suspension are adjustable, I didn't play with them.
If that'st the case and you can see yourself taking it a step further then I think you should really look into what Tein will be offering. Even other high end brands like KW Suspension. Adjustable dampening can very well the Stinger good if my understanding of it as stock is correct.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSeoul View Post
If that'st the case and you can see yourself taking it a step further then I think you should really look into what Tein will be offering. Even other high end brands like KW Suspension. Adjustable dampening can very well the Stinger good if my understanding of it as stock is correct.
If I was going to track it, I would get the base GT and get custom suspension. If I was going to get into track on a regular basis, I'd pick up a used Mustang GT, not modify new $50k Kia!
GTSeoul likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page